Davidson is a town in Mecklenburg County in the U.S. state of North Carolina. The population was 10,944 at the 2010 census. It is home to Davidson College. Lying along the eastern shore of Lake Norman, the town is centered around the college from which it takes its name.
The town was founded in 1837 with the establishment of the Presbyterian Davidson College, named for Brigadier General William Lee Davidson, a local Revolutionary War hero in Mecklenburg County. The land for Davidson College came from Davidson's estate, a large portion of which was donated by his son.
As of the census of 2000, there were 7,139 people, 2,122 households, and 1,476 families residing in the town. The population density was 1,468.0 people per square mile (567.2/km²). There were 2,452 housing units at an average density of 504.2 per square mile (194.8/km²). The racial makeup of the town was 88.53% White, 8.14% African American, 0.15% Native American, 1.29% Asian, 0.08% Pacific Islander, 0.97% from other races, and 0.84% from two or more races. Hispanic or Latino of any race were 2.28% of the population.
(From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia)